It’s only the fourth month of the year, but I’ve already raced more in 2019 than I did in 2011, 2012, and 2013 combined. That’s because I’m in the middle of my #40years40races challenge, which is my quest to compete in 40 races in 2019, in honor of my recent 40th birthday.
I’m doing stair races and running races, and I’ve done so many races in the past few months that I’m starting to lose count. I need to organize my notes and update my tally. So I’m going to list every race I’ve done this year, in chronological order. There’s a couple that I never talked about, so I’m going to fill in some blanks along the way.
(If you’d like to read more about my #40years40races challenge, click here.)
Oh, and I’d like to set PRs this year in the 5K and 10K distances. Haven’t done it yet, but workin’ on it! My current 5K PR is 29:15, from the Derby Day race in 2018. My current 10K PR is 59:06, from my very first running race ever, back in 2011.
Ready? Here we go!
1) Dallas Vert Mile. 1/13/19, Dallas, Texas. Stair race, 550 stories. Read more here.
2) Winter Fun 10K. 1/20/19, Long Beach, CA. Time: 1:06:39. Read more here.
3) Beverly Hills 10K & Fitness Blast. 1/27/19, Beverly Hills, CA. Time: 1:04:02. Read more here.
4) Surf City 5K. 2/3/19, Huntington Beach, CA. Time: 30:24. Read more here.
5) Valentine’s Day 10K. 2/9/19, Encino, CA. Time: 1:03:52. Read more here. (Note: due to a poorly marked course, I ran 6.4 miles instead of 6.2. I crossed the finish line in 1:06:02.)
6) Miles of Music 5K. 2/17/19, Los Angeles, CA. Time: 28:22. Read more here. (Note: Not a PR because I’m fairly certain the course was shorter than a 5K.)
7) Scale the Strat. 2/24/19, Las Vegas, NV. Stair race, 108 stories. Time: 14:42. Read more here.
8) OutClimb Cancer Challenge. 3/2/19, Salt Lake City, UT. Stair race, 6 hours, 1.9 vertical miles. Read more here.
9) The Enormous Elephant Run 5K. 3/9/19, Los Angeles, CA. Time: 33:47. This race benefited an elephant conservation organization.
I ran it with my friend Tavi. And JJ ran it too! Tavi did the 10K and JJ and I did the 5K. (I like running with JJ, but I’m reluctant to run more than a 5K with him, since he could overheat.)
JJ is at our feet, I swear!
JJ actually met a celebrity. Kristin Davis (Charlotte on “Sex and the City”) was there, and she came by and petted JJ and complimented how handsome he was, and JJ ignored her completely because there was another dog ten feet behind her that he was transfixed by. Kristin also gave a little pep talk before the race:
Despite having ample time before the race to do his business, JJ decided the best time to poop was in the first quarter-mile of the race. When you gotta go, you gotta go! (And yes, I picked it up!) Between the run and the poop, JJ was exhausted afterward!
10) Fox Trot 5K. 3/10/19, Los Angeles, CA. Time: 33:07. (Note: I ran 3.23 miles, instead of 3.1, for the reasons outlined below.)
This race was a giant mess. It benefited the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research, which is a worthwhile cause, but I’ll never do this race again. Basically, there were volunteers at a turn on the course that were supposed to tell racers to turn left, and they didn’t. So almost the entire crowd of six hundred runners continued straight, running off-course. I’m certain many, of not most, got lost, confused, or disoriented.
I caught the mistake relatively quickly, as it was the same course that I ran during the Enormous Elephant Run and the Miles of Music race, and got myself back on-course. At the next water station, I reported the problem and urged the volunteers to call race organizers so they could do something. When I crossed the finish line, I immediately told another volunteer. I didn’t see anyone jump into action, and that pissed me off.
My time of 33:07 was the 7th fastest, out of 610 participants, which is my highest ranking ever. But it doesn’t mean anything, as people ran all sorts of different distances, and not on the predetermined course. Oh, and JJ ran with me! His third 5K race!
11) Sunrise Marathon (5K). 3/23/19, Novato, CA. Time: 33:18. (Another race where, because it was poorly marked, I ran 3.25 miles instead of 3.1.) Read more here.
12) Fehringer Ranch Race (3 miles). 3/31/19, Morrison, CO. Time: 30:19. I ran with JJ – his fourth race! Read more here.
13) Run Michigan Cheap – Northville Edition 10K. 4/7/19, Northville, MI. Time: 1:00:20. Read more here.
And that brings me to present day! With 13 races under my belt, I’m only 1/3rd of a race away from being 1/3rd done with the challenge! And I have three more races scheduled for April, so I’m definitely on track to finish up by the end of the year.
Keep it up, David!
Follow me! I’m @keepitupdavid on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. There’s also a “Sign Me Up” box on this page (at the top of the right-hand column) where you can subscribe to receive new posts via email!