About two months ago, I added a bunch of new songs to my iPod. And I started getting huge PRs at my races: I shaved seven minutes off my time in Palm Springs, and nearly four minutes off my times in Chicago. Coincidence? Maybe! (I’ve also been training like a madman.)
I know for sure that the songs keep me moving, keep my spirits up, and keep me motivated, and those are three things I need during a long and challenging race. Maybe these songs will help pump you up during your workouts, too!
1) “Living” by Bakermat feat. Alex Clare. I looked up this song after hearing it in a commercial. It’s fast, has a great beat, and a great message in its hook: “Don’t let nothing hold you down.”
Oh! I shared this song with my friend Anne, who teaches aerobics, and now she plays it during her classes!
2) “Pain” by Jimmy Eat World. I heard this rock and roll song for the first time in the week between my Palm Springs and Chicago races, and now I listen to it during nearly every workout. Even though it’s new to me, the song came out in 2004.
3) “Mi Gente (Steve Aoki Remix)” by J Balvin & Willy William. A great dance club song. I listened to it twice in a row towards the end of my Palm Springs run. The video has freaky black-lit dancing skeletons! And it’s in Spanish.
4) “Love So Soft” by Kelly Clarkson. Kelly has been making the rounds promoting her new album, and with every interview I see, I like her even more. She sets an incredible example for body positivity and has embraced an ‘fuck-the-haters’ attitude that I really admire.
“Love So Soft” is a R&B-influenced pop song that’s catchy and memorable. And the video is colorful and full of striking visuals, like the row of Kellys in white hats, and the living room that explodes when she hits a high note.
5) “Cheers” by Sleeping With Sirens. I love the beat and the drums on this punk song, but it’s the lyrics that really sealed the deal: “Let’s cheers to us/We’re gonna be victorious/Don’t matter what they say because/We march to a beat of a different drum.”
Fun fact: This band has another song that you’re going to be hearing a lot in the coming months. It’s called “Legends,” and it was recently selected to be Team USA’s official anthem at the 2018 winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. Listen to it here.
6) “Kingsman Hoedown” by Henry Jackman & Matthew Margeson (from “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” Original Motion Picture Score). I always try to include something a little different when I put together these music posts, and this piece of orchestral score definitely qualifies. This little gem is slightly over two minutes long, but it’s a frenetic, intense piece of action movie music bombast that’s heavy on banjo and fiddle. I hope you like banjo and fiddle!
Now I get to brag a little bit: I’m buddies with one of the composers, Matthew Margeson. He and his wife Lisa (whom I worked with for about five years) and I are part of a board game group that gets together every once in a while.
Okay, folks, those are the newest additions to my workout playlist. What music are you listening to? Share in the comments section!
Keep It Up, David!
Follow me! I’m @keepitupdavid on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat, and I’m on Google+ too! There’s also a “Sign Me Up” box on this page (at the top of the right-hand column) where you can subscribe to receive new posts via email!