It’s Halloween party season, and the food-based celebrations pretty much continue from now until the end of the year, thanks to Thanksgiving, holiday parties, Christmas, and New Years. That’s a lot of parties and events to navigate.
It’s a tough time of year for those of us trying to lose weight or keep it off. And that’s all the more reason to arm yourself with a strategy so you can enjoy yourself at these soirees and not feel guilty after. Here are three simple things you can do at any party!
1) Eat Before You Go. Don’t show up ravenous, because you’ll eat more. Eat something healthy before you arrive, like a Cucumber Radish Salad (recipe here), a protein shake (use my coupon code to save money on protein powder), or another form of lean protein. Get something in your stomach so you’re not reaching for the junk food as soon as you walk in the door!
2) Put All Your Food On a Plate. No standing around and grazing.
I’m a firm believer in enjoying whatever you want at parties, but only eating a moderate, reasonable amount. The easiest way to stay mindful of your portions is to serve yourself on a plate, eat until it’s gone, and then stop. It’s easy to lose track of how much you’re eating if you’re grabbing food by the handful all night long.
3) Step Away From the Food. It’s so easy to congregate around the food at a party, but hanging around the food just encourages continued eating. So chat with your friends at the other end of the room, or better yet, another room altogether. Arrange it so your back is turned, so you can’t see others reaching for the queso or the chips. Out of sight, out of mind!
These tips are modified from my annual Thanksgiving Pledge. Read more about my pledge here.
- Pop a piece of gum when you’re done eating.
- Bring a veggie platter or fruit tray, so you know they’ll be a healthy option you can enjoy.
- Don’t use a veggie or chip to scoop as much dip out as possible from the dip bowl. Actually dip it instead!
Any more party tips or suggestions? Share them below!
Keep it up, David!
Follow me! I’m @keepitupdavid on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat, and I’m on Google+ too! There’s also a “Sign Me Up” box on this page (at the top of the right-hand column) where you can subscribe to receive new posts via email!