We’re already halfway through January? 2013 is just flying by! At the moment, I feel like I’m finally free and clear of the cold that I’ve been fighting for about 2 weeks now, but I won’t feel that way in the morning. Every morning I wake up stuffed up and snotty, and by the end of the day, I feel much better. Then, I wake up the next day feeling stuffed up and snotty again, and the cycle resumes. I’m tired of it.
I haven’t been letting my cold affect my routine too much. I’ve still been working out 3-4 times a week, which has become my norm, including a workout today, and another one yesterday, too. And I’m still logging all my workouts in my calendar (8 so far in January), and brings me to the focus of today’s post:
My 2012 Year-End Progress Report! Even though I haven’t posted a monthly report since July, I’ve still been tracking everything, and it’s time to summarize my year in exercise.
Let’s start with a refresher. My 2011 Year-End Progress Report showed that during that year, I worked out 284 times, which was a 78% success rate. Those 284 workouts included 52 classes at Slimmons and 108 workouts where I lifted weights.
I also made one simple goal for 2012: I wanted to work out more than 284 times.
Spoiler Alert! I didn’t reach my goal. I know that for a fact, and I haven’t even broken out the calculator yet. I’m so certain that I didn’t even come close, and that’s because I underwent what the tax forms refer to as a major life change: I started a new job. At the end of June, I went from working 0 hours a week to working more than full time, and I had to reduce my weekly workout goals from 5-6 workouts a week to 3-4. I know a part of me, when I crunch the numbers in a few minutes, will be crestfallen when I see how exactly much less I exercised in 2012 when compared to 2011, but I’m proud that I accomplished my 3-or-4-per-week goal every week in the second half of 2012 except for one.
No more delaying: Here’s the Month-By-Month Breakdown:
- January 2012: Worked out 26 out of 31 days (83%), including 7 classes at Slimmons, and 1 class at Crunch. 12 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- February 2012: Worked out 23 out of 29 days (79%), including 4 classes at Slimmons, and 1 yoga class. 13 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- March 2012: Worked out 27 out of 31 days (87%), including 5 classes at Slimmons and 1 spin class. 14 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- April 2012: Worked out 26 out of 30 days (86%), including 2 classes at Slimmons, and 2 other classes. 17 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- May 2012: Worked out 27 out of 31 days (87%), including 4 classes at Slimmons. 9 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- June 2012: Worked out 26 out of 30 days (86%), including 2 classes at Slimmons and 1 Cardio Barre class. 15 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- July 2012: Worked out 25 out of 31 days (81%), including 3 classes at Slimmons. 16 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- August 2012: Worked out 18 out of 31 days (58%), including 1 class at Slimmons. 11 workouts had a weightlifting focus. (It was during August that I transitioned from 5-6 workout a week to 3-4.)
- September 2012. Worked out 13 out of 30 days (43%), including 2 classes at Slimmons. 4 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- October 2012. Worked out 17 out of 31 days (55%), including 2 classes at Slimmons. Only 1 workout had a weightlifting focus (yikes!).
- November 2012. Worked out 14 out of 30 days (47%), including 1 class at Slimmons and no weightlifting workouts (double yikes!).
- December 2012. Worked out 20 out of 31 days (64%), including 2 classes at Slimmons. 5 workouts had a weightlighting focus. (That December surge was thanks to my Christmas vacation, when I worked out nearly every day when I was travelling. Read about it here.)
TIME TO ADD IT ALL UP! My grand totals:
- In 2012, I worked out 262 times. 262 workouts in 365 days. OK, I just triple-checked my addition, because that number is so much higher than I thought it would be. Only 22 workouts less in 2012 than in 2011? I’ll take it! That’s a 72% success rate.
- Um… Holy Crap. I’m still reeling about that last statistic.
- I took 35 of Richard Simmons’ classes at Slimmons, down from 52 in 2011. That’s also due to my work schedule – I can’t ever make it across town in time during rush hour traffic to take his weeknight classes, so that only leaves his Saturday morning classes as an option for me.
- 97 workouts had a weightlifting focus. That’s down from 108 in 2011, but that 2011 statistic isn’t fully accurate, because I only started notating weightlifting workouts in April of that year.
And… I’m still surprised about that first statistic!
Time to think ahead for 2013. I’m already a few weeks in, but it’s not too late to set a goal. My goal is simple. In fact, it’s the same goal I made for 2012: Work out more. In this case, my goal is to work out more than 262 times.
It’s gonna be a tall order, and here’s why: I started my job at the end of June last year, which means the first half of the year was front-loaded with tons of workouts, because I had tons of free time. I fully intend to work during all of 2013, and if I keep up my current goal of 3-4 workouts per week, that will only put me at slightly over 200 workouts for the year.
But no matter. I shall try my best. That’s all I can do.
I like working out. I like how it makes me feel. I like the sense of accomplishment it brings. And here’s a major source of pride: Add up my workouts from both 2011 and 2012, and I’ve worked out a total of 544 times.
FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY FOUR TIMES.
Keep it up, David!