Happy March, everyone! I get excited when I get to turn the page in my calendar, because that means it’s time for one of my favorite recurring posts… it’s Progress Report Time!
You’ve seen these before, right? I do one every month (check out January and November, and for December, I did a monster 2011 Year-End Report). Basically, I track all my exercise in my calendar, and then, once a month, I process the cold hard data into interesting (to me) facts and statistics, because I’m a nerd like that.
Here’s my February calendar:
Each dot represents a workout, and the scribbles next to the dots describe, briefly, what I did. Some dots have other shapes around them: a circle around the dot represents a class at Slimmons, a triangle around a dot represents a different type of class (in this case, my first ever yoga class), and I started marking workouts at my new gym with a square around the dot. I did this because my gym memberships overlapped for a little while, and I was going to both, and I wanted to demarcate which workouts were done at which gym. My membership at my old gym is now expired, so for March (and beyond), no demarcation is needed.
February got off to a rocky start. I let some depression get the best of me, and during the first five days of the month, I only worked out twice. I rebounded nicely, and during each of the remaining weeks, I met my weekly workout goals. During the last 12 days of the month, I worked out 11 times.
Another noteworthy accomplishment is that I did three workouts on the StairMaster, which might be a monthly record, as I don’t love the StairMaster. In fact, I beat my own StairMaster record on the first two of those workouts (I conquered the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago and the Empire State Building). As for the third, well, it just happened the other day, and I haven’t blogged about it yet, but that’s coming (along with an exciting announcement) in a few days.
Let’s crunch some numbers, huh? In February, I worked out 23 out of 29 days, which is a 79% success rate. That’s slightly below last February’s percentage, which was 82%, but I worked out 23 days during both Februaries, so my lower percentage this year can squarely be blamed on leap year. Curses, leap year! I also took 4 classes at Slimmons, the aforementioned yoga class, and 13 of my workouts had an emphasis on weight training, which is pretty damn good!
Here’s February compared with the 5 prior months:
- September 2011: Worked out 24 out of 30 days (80%), including 4 classes at Slimmons. 11 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- October 2011: Worked out 23 out of 31 days (74%), including 3 classes at Slimmons. 11 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- November 2011: Worked out 23 out of 30 days (76%), including 6 classes at Slimmons. 9 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- December 2011: Worked out 23 out of 31 days (74%), including 5 classes at Slimmons. 15 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- January 2012: Worked out 26 out of 31 days (83%), including 7 classes at Slimmons, and 1 class at Crunch. 12 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- February 2012: Worked out 23 out of 29 days (79%), including 4 classes at Slimmons, and 1 yoga class. 13 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
So far in 2012, I’ve exercised 49 out of 60 days (81%), including 11 classes at Slimmons.
Keep it up, David!