Thanks for all the wonderful comments, tweets, and messages yesterday regarding my speaking engagement at Whole Foods. If you missed my big announcement, click here!
Hey, do you read Jess “TooBIG” Perreca’s blog? If you’re a fan, like I am, check this out… It’s me and Jess in the very same photograph!
It turns out that Jess lives about 20 minutes from where I grew up in Michigan, and since I’m in town visiting right now, we found a time to meet up at a local Starbucks. Turns out that Jess is as honest, straightforward, and funny in real life as he is on his blog, and we chatted about all sort of things. Did you know that Jess has been blogging, in some form or another, for almost 10 years? He’s been blogging since before I knew what a blog was. And that’s your Jess fun fact of the day.
IT’S SEPTEMBER FIRST! Where does the time go? That means it’s time for my August Progress Report! I’ve been compiling these monthly reports all year long (read Jan-Apr, May, June, and July). It’s nice to be able to go back and see the patterns in my exercise, and these posts motivate me for another great month of workouts. Plus, I’m diligent about keeping track of the exercise that I complete, so why shouldn’t I assemble the information into easy-to-digest nuggets?
Here’s my August calendar (each dot represents a workout):
August turned out to be a really busy month. I spent the first two days having a ball in Seattle, went kayaking for the first time ever, spent a weekend in Colorado, where I injured my back, and ended the month in my home state of Michigan.
I’m proud that despite all my travels, I didn’t sacrifice any workouts (with the notable exception of two rest days following my back injury). In total, I worked out 25 out of 31 days, an 80% success rate! Five of those workouts were Slimmons classes led by Richard Slimmons, 3 of them were Craig Ramsay’s boot camp classes, and 4 were training sessions with Craig.
I’ve worked all summer increasing the amount of time I’ve spent weight training, and, in the month of August, 15 of my 25 workouts contained a significant weight training element. It’s not quite as high as my July figure (which was 20 out of 25), but I’ve purposefully stayed away from weights this week to avoid aggravating my back.
Time to bust out my Progress Report Chart and update it!
- January 2011: Worked out 27 out 0f 31 days (87%), including 6 classes at Slimmons.
- February 2011: Worked out 23 out of 28 days (82%), including 5 classes at Slimmons and 3 Boot Camp Classes.
- March 2011: Worked out 25 out of 31 days (81%), including 5 classes at Slimmons and 4 Boot Camp Classes.
- April 2011: Worked out 20 out of 30 days (66%), including 5 classes at Slimmons and 3 Boot Camp Classes. 4 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- May 2011: Worked out 24 out of 31 days (77%), including 3 classes at Slimmons and 0 Boot Camp Classes. 13 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- June 2011: Worked out 22 out of 30 days (73%), including 4 classes at Slimmons and 2 Boot Camp Classes. 10 workouts had a weightlighting focus.
- July 2012: Worked out 25 out of 31 days (80%), including 4 classes at Slimmons, 2 Boot Camp Classes and 5 training sessions. 20 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- August 2012: Worked out 25 out of 31 days (80%), including 5 classes at Slimmons, 3 Boot Camp Classes and 4 training sessions. 15 workouts had a weightlifting focus.
- TOTALS: So far in 2011, I’ve worked out 191 out of 243 days (78%), including 34 classes at Slimmons and 17 Boot Camp Classes.
Keep it up, David!