Just as so many of you predicted in your comments, emails, tweets, and messages, today turned out to be a whole new day. Go figure! My really shitty Sunday ended, and was followed, as Sundays often are, by a Monday. While many Mondays can stink for their own reasons, mine turned out to be pretty good, and a vast improvement over my Sunday. Here are the things that contributed to my much better Monday:
1) You. So many of you came out of the woodwork to offer support and guidance, and sent love and good vibes my way. I read every comment and email, and appreciated every one of them. So, thank you. What a network I have!
2) Richard Simmons. He never fails to make me laugh, and while I didn’t see him in person today, I watched his new video. Earlier this month, he flew to New Zealand, and shot the new in-flight safety video for Air New Zealand, and it’s the funniest safety demonstration I’ve ever seen. Have you seen it yet? Take a look. Fans of The Amazing Race, keep your eyes peeled for the Phil Keoghan cameo!
3) Scream 4 Trailer. I love the Scream movies, and in a few weeks, the fourth one will be released. I can’t wait! Today I watched the trailer for Scream 4 for the first time – it looks terrifyingly fantastic! As an added bonus for me, it was filmed in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where I lived for 5 years, so I’ll be on the lookout for familiar locations. Have you seen the trailer yet?
4) Batman. A good friend of mine (I’m going to protect his anonymity, as he’s rather private) read yesterday’s post and emailed me a quote from, of all places, a Batman movie:
Alfred Pennyworth: Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up.
Bruce Wayne: You still haven’t given up on me?
Alfred Pennyworth: Never!
Although I’ve seen all the Batman movies, I couldn’t remember which one it’s from, and my friend had to remind me it’s from Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan’s 2005 movie that featured Christian Bale, for the first time, as the Caped Crusader. Then he sent me the clip from the movie that features the quote (it’s at the very end):
I muttered “Never!” in my best Michael Caine accent under my breath for the rest of the day.
5) New Music. I bought a song for my workout playlist that I love. It’s “Stereo Love” by Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina. It’s not brand-new music, but it is brand-new to me. I’d embed a video here, since I’ve already embedded three others in this post, but I couldn’t find one on YouTube that was embed-able (is that a word?). But go to Youtube, after you finish reading this post of course, and search “Stereo Love,” and it’ll be the top result.
6) Me. I saved the best for last. The thing that most improved my attitude today were my own actions. I ate really well. I went to the gym after work (and listened to the above song about 3 times on the elliptical) while yelling out the answers to the Wheel of Fortune puzzles. Then I indulged in a little retail therapy, at Whole Foods. It’s been a while – months, perhaps – since I’ve shared my produce purchases, but I lined it all up on the counter tonight. Check out what’s new in my refrigerator!
Let’s see – starting from top left, and going clockwise, there’s celery, a cantaloupe, baby carrots, a mini-watermelon, mushrooms, bananas, asparagus, a container of pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower, strawberries, a starfruit, zucchini, green grapes, cameo apples, yellow carrots (read more about them here), Persian cucumbers, red bell pepper, roma tomatoes, red bartlett pears.
Here’s a closer look at the starfruit. I’ve never bought one before, and have no idea how to eat it, but that’s what the internet is for.
Don’t you worry – I’ll definitely share my thoughts on this guy when I eat it!
OH – and that’s not it! There are two items I didn’t include in the photograph, because I’m so flippin’ excited I just had to keep them a secret for now. I’ll let you in on the secret soon enough.
Now to figure out what I’m going to eat tomorrow!
Keep it up, David!